This morning I woke up about 2 o'clock with a headache.  I know if I have chocolate or sugar of some kind in the night I will wake up about 2 o'clock with a headache but in when I do this I forget the consequence and only remember when I have the headache.  Luckily the headache is gone by morning but obviously it is not good for me so why do it? I'm not a great chocolate eater, thankfully, but Himself trots it out every now and then and without a thought, I will have a piece or two.  It is a wierd thing not to connect the cause with the effect, especially at my age.  Like getting pregnant I suppose.  Thankfully I'm well past that little lot!!!

Yesterday I thought I would get a treat for us.  Aldi have this amazing ice cream, French Vanilla Style Ice Cream.  It is the most beautiful ice cream I have ever tasted and only comes in 500ml tubs but it is $5.00 each for those tubs which has to make it the most expensive ice cream ever.  $10.00 a litre!!.  As I said, luckily, it only comes in 500ml tubs.  Of course the story doesn't end there.  I bring it home and then make salty caramel sauce to go on top of it.  There are really only five small servings of this ice cream (let's face it 100ml of ice cream isn't a big serve by anyone's standards) and the first night I make the sauce it is hot.  Yum.  The next night it is cold and thick and dollopy.  Yum.  Then there is one serve left over.

Well I woke up this morning at 2 o'clock with a headache.  Why do I do it?  Because I forget the cause.  I don't understand that.  Like drinking wine and the resultant headache.  Why don't we learn from the first time we do it?   (Thankfully I don't do the wine too often these days either, just occasionally when I'm with wicked people.)  When I come to think of it I really believe we are programmed to forget these things otherwise most of us would only have one child and just imagine all the rest of us who were not first in line who would never have been born?  I hate to think. (I can imagine what my mother thought eight years after the one before!!!)

It is 6 o'clock in the morning at the moment and I have never been above eating ice cream for breakfast.  Of course I won't this morning because Himself is here and 50mls is hardly a serve.  (I have a feeling he wouldn't be above eating it for breakfast either but I won't mention it).  It could be a very nice mid morning snack.

I think I'll have to get a wife.  There are too many interruptions of the things that I want to do with the things that I HAVE to do that a wife would be very useful.  Such handy little things, wives.  When I was a wife I used to always want a handyman and even asked the local hardware store where I could buy one but they said handymen were as scarce as hens' teeth.  I finally found a handyman but do you know what?  He wants time to do the things he WANTS to do, not handyman stuff.  It is really hard to get good help. There's no doubt about it people do get above themselves.

Earlier this year there was a Swedish programme on TV called Real Humans or something like that.  It was about robots which looked like humans but just worked away and did everything that we don't want to do.  That's what we want but of course in the series complications set in when somebody put human genes into the mix.  We don't want that, just the robots.

Speaking of when to eat particular things, we had a friend here for lunch the other day.  I had asked him to come for lunch on the spur of the moment and then thought "What on earth will I give him for lunch?"  There were some cold Italian sausages from the night before so I cooked up some tomatoes and onions and mushrooms and then mashed potatoes with garlic to go with them.  As I was mashing the potatoes he said "What, mashed potatoes for lunch?"  I thought "Why not? What's so special about lunch that you can't have mashed potatoes?"  Next time he'll get a sandwich!!!

When I was at boarding school we would sometimes have weetbix with custard over it for an evening meal on the weekend, probably Sunday.  I did think that was odd, especially the custard, but really, we didn't question what we ate, just ate everything in front of us and more if some wimpy little person didn't want all of theirs.  That's why boarders alway eat so fast, to get in first for the leftovers.  Although, according to my 17 year old granddaughter at her boarding school, they get fed really well and don't have to scoff it down so that you could beat the other hungry kids to the leftovers.  We did get fed well really, it is just that growing children eat so much and it was very cold down at Blackheath and there was nothing to warm that whole building, which was huge.  There was a fire in the kitchen of course (where none of us were allowed to go) but otherwise no heating at all and the place had been a hotel before 1923  when it was opened as a school.

A friend told me a little while ago about a Museum at the Mt Victoria Railway Station.  It used to be the Station Master's residence and, although connected to the station itself, is quite a large building.  He said he had been in there and there was a whole room dedicated to Osborne Ladies College which had operated at Blackheath.  I was fascinated as I thought everything would have been lost in the fire which destroyed the actual building a long time ago (and no, it wasn't my doing although I probably could have, I hated it so much).  I guess it was like all those fires where everything of value was removed and then suddenly, lo and behold, there is an electrical fault and the place is gutted.  There is a Christian school now where that once stood.

We were down at Mt Vic a few days ago to do some walking in the area but the weather wasn't wonderful and we pulled in to the railway station. The Museum itself was not open.  On looking it up on the net we discovered it is open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, public holidays and school holidays.  I suddenly have an urge to see what is there in that dedicated room and with school holidays coming up might be the right time.

There were some wonderful paintigs on the walls, one in particular of King John signing the Magna Carta in front of which I stood one whole afternoon until tea time when someone remembered I was there and asked the principal if I could come to tea.  It was after I had had polio and I couldn't stand for very long then any more than I can now.  However, we were brought up to do as we were told.  I can't imagine any of my grandchildren doing that, thank heavens.  The place was Dickensian to say the least, but that's how it was.  That's how it was!!

We had the most beautiful desks.  They were gold, golden wood.  I have never seen anything else like them in my life.  We had green felt which was always over the top of them where our books went.  They were double desks but only one child sat at each (not many of us there) and the felt covered both sides.  Each side opened up like desks did in those days.  They were never scratched and that is amazing when you think that the wooden upright chairs we sat on when at the desks were the same ones that we sat on at the tables in the dining rooms to eat our meals and had to be carried back and forth over the desks for each meal or school session, that was quite a feat.  If, by any chance a scratch did happen to appear (heaven forbid) on your desk, the desk was immediately removed and you were given a big old green desk at which to sit and on which you could carve your name if you were that way inclined.  The disgrace was awful.  I didn't ever carve in anything but I do remember sitting at a green desk for a while.  Thankfully my memory doesn't go that far.

The main schoolroom itself used to be the ballroom when the place was a hotel.  It had a magnificent wooden floor and all along the northern side there were French windows leading out onto a beautiful verandah which ran the whole length of the ballroom/schoolroom.  From there there were steps leading down into what once were terraced gardens, but which were just terraces when we were there.  There were huge pine trees in that part of the grounds and also in various other parts.  The whole place comprised 43 acres in all.  The first settlers certainly planted pine trees everywhere in the Blue Mountains and even down around Jenolan Caves.  There are huge old pine trees wherever you go.  I love the Blue Mlountains and even memories of my hatred of the school have faded now.  I hope they have at least one of those desks in the Museum.  I'll let you know.